The Ports and Yachting Directorate has a regulatory role in monitoring the maritime activities which take place within ports and the internal and territorial waters of Malta; and it also manages port facilities which are under the control of the Authority. The Directorate is primarily responsible for ensuring that port users and service providers comply with legislation and contractual obligations, while at the same time promoting the efficient use of our ports and maritime facilities. It also ensures the achievement of the right balance in the use of our waters for leisure and commercial operations.
The Ports and Yachting Directorate is responsible for:
• The promotion of port services and maritime activities;
• Preservation of good order in the internal and territorial waters, including safety of navigation;
• Compliance and regulation of Inter national and European Legislation
• Pollution prevention and control, including the provision of port reception facilities for ship-generated wastes;
• The provision of a safe and efficient maritime transport system;
• Ensuring the provision of technical nautical services, fire-fighting facilities, supplies and other ship requirements;
• The management of port facilities;
• Regulation of yachting and maritime leisure facilities;
• The compilation of maritime statistics;
• The organisation of popular bays and swimmers’ zones.
Our Working Partners
Click on the link of your choice to discover more…